Friday 16 January 2015

After the storm


Very poor weather has dominated this week. Today was forecast to be fair, and I toyed with going up to see the pomarine skua at the north end of the area, but I had to perform emergency house repairs after storm damage. Still, I had half a sunny afternoon left, so I went through the park back to the mere, on the offchance the firecrest was still there.


 Above: you know the birds are tame when you can photograph them at 35mm! Below: a casualty of the storm.


A few big clouds drifted over - the sky was very pretty. The wind had died down almost completely, and there was little evidence of the recent violence. Just one fallen tree - already dead - blocked a path on one of the small islands in the park lake. Coots, pigeons, mallards, and geese were eager for food, but I had none. An elderly gentleman gave them some, and was surrounded by a scrum of dozens of birds. Further out, black-headed gulls, shovelers, cormorants, great crested grebes, and at least one pochard comprised the usual suspects.


I looped round the woods to the northwest of the lake, on the offchance a jay or nuthatch was lurking there, but it was just squirrels and tits - but my first coal tit of the year, so I was happy enough. A few daffodils were already opening, too. Out towards the reserve, the sun came back out, and it felt genuinely mild - spring is definitely awakening.


Above: a stand of alders in the sunshine. Below: furry willow buds beginning to break.


Down to the lakside platform, and I had a quick scan of the waters, but I don't know an Iceland gull by sight, so even if our local one was there (and it does visit regularly at this time of year), I couldn't have known. But a pair of birdwatchers arrived, and looked with more care. I stood around hoping for the firecrest, but aside from a large flock of long-tailed tits, and a huge number of pink-footed geese (hundreds upon hundreds, flying south in numerous skeins), there wasn't much to see. David M and a few other local bird folk arrived, but the only bird life was a showy robin and loud cetti's warblers in the reeds nearby.

A pleasant trip out, though. Sometimes just being there is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment