Saturday 10 January 2015

A return to normality

Returning home I had the tantalising prospect of another very special passerine in the local area - a firecrest blew into the local nature reserve a few days ago. The weather has been rotten though, with gales and rain. Today I made it out despite the continuing wind, as at least it was mostly sunny. I held little hope of finding Britain's equal smallest bird in these conditions, but David M said he was going, and he spots a lot of things I miss (his take on the day is here).

Passing through the park, I saw hundreds of gulls, but didn't have time to sift through them for anything unusual.

We stood around in a sheltered, wooded spot overlooking the lake, where the bird had been seen - but not for a couple of days. No luck, though a goldcrest picked through the shrubs and brambles nearby.

Out on the water, a large group of Canada geese had gathered in the sheltered southeast end, and amongst them there was a barnacle goose - my first new species ("lifer") of the year. While David is sceptical it's a wild bird, I was happy nonetheless, and got adequate shots despite the couple of hundred metres separating us. It was a lot smaller than I expected (see below).



We also checked on the owls. Long-eared owls roost in the scrub by the lake every winter, although last autumn they were scared off by naughty apple pickers. My guide knew where to look though, as one or more have returned. Once I knew where to stand, I found the bird straight away, which was pleasing, although it was still very well camouflaged, and mostly turned away from us. I'll return - I simply must try getting a shot of its eyes open (best of today's photos of it below).


We went round the other side of the scrub to look for the firecrest again, but unsuccessfully. A pair of woodcock flushed though - which is my second new species of the year, though they were gone before I got any photographs. Once again, I will try and return for them before they clear off in spring.

A quiet but surprisingly successful first trip out of the year, then. I didn't mind not seeing the firecrest in the end, though if it's sighted again, I'll go looking for it.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to see those LE Owls in the same place last time I was in the Uk (4 years ago!) but was unsuccessful.................

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never managed on my own! You need David to show you :)

    ReplyDelete