Sunday 19 May 2013

Bird project 20 - Spotted flycatcher



20/101.
Muscicapa striata Spotted flycatcher

Location: Treetops above stump circle, Stanley Park, Blackpool.
Conditions: Mild sunshine, light breeze, early evening.
Photograph quality: 1-2.


Comments: I have seen a few reports of these birds in the park since the end of April, but only one or two birds. Today, three were seen, and conditions were good, so I went along to see if I could find any.

In fact, there were at least half a dozen, fluttering in the treetops. They rarely stayed still, settling on a different branch each time, then flying out a short way to feed, then perching somewhere else. It was a real challenge to get them in shot and in focus, and I was mostly shooting straight up, which is hard work with a big lens (for part of the time, I lay on the ground, so I was facing the treetops, which was moderately effective). Additionally, the high contrast between bright sky and sunlit leaves, the birds themselves in sun or shadow, and the branches, made getting correct exposure tricky too.

Despite the challenges, I really enjoyed myself. It was a lovely setting, and the birds themselves were delightful, acrobatic, and thankfully unconcerned by my presence. I will try to go back again before they migrate, and see if I can get better shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment