Wednesday 1 May 2013

Bird project 16 - Jay

17/101.
Garrulus glandarius Jay 



Location: Conifer between Lytham Crematorium cemetery and Fairhaven Golf Club, Lancashire, England.
Conditions: Mild, sunny (bird in deep shade).
Photograph quality: 3.

Comments: I went to this location for the first time today, as crossbills had been seen there for several days (but not yesterday). I didn't expect they'd still be there, but other excellent species are commonly found there, including jays - which are rare in these parts - and parakeets, which though not native, I wanted to photograph.

The conditions began perfectly, with blue skies and warm sunshine, and next to no breeze, and immediately I saw birds in the trees by the golf course. Luckily I fired off the above shot straight away, as I saw no more sign of this species after that. However, there were many others - including singing chaffinches and goldfinches, a chiffchaff, willow warblers, long-tailed tits, and a probable reed warbler. Later, thin cloud moved in, the temperature dropped, and the breeze picked up, so I didn't linger. I'll go back at some point to try and get a better shot of the jays.

No comments:

Post a Comment