Saturday 13 April 2013

Bird project 14 - Skylark

14/101.
Alauda arvensis Skylark
Location: Fleetwood Marsh nature park, Fleetwood, Lancashire.
Conditions: White cloud, cold, strong east/northeast wind.
Photograph quality: 1.


Comments: The first time I went to this location, I read on a notice board that skylarks bred here, but it was too early in the year. This week I've seen reports of wheatears and skylarks there, and the little grebes I heard but did not see last time should still be present.

Sadly, the weather turned less pleasant (after a morning of warm sunshine) as I arrived, and only the skylarks were apparent, singing high in the air, as well as the usual waterfowl, gulls, and a flock of wagtails joined by a male reed bunting.

The photographs of the skylark singing in the sky were very poor, but I've arranged the best four at the bottom of this article. Then one of them landed on a fence just as I was approaching, and I managed to take a series of good shots. The background was many tens of metres away, giving perfect subject isolation, so my luck was in.


A couple more of the best photos are available on my Flickr feed.


No comments:

Post a Comment