Friday 12 April 2013

Bird project 13 - Chiffchaff


I've seen reports of chiffchaffs around the area for a few days. I heard them last summer, but didn't see or photograph them (the song is unmistakable). I walked round the local park, hoping to hear them, but nothing. After photographing a pair of goldcrests, I realised another bird I was snapping was in fact larger, and drabber - it was what I'd been looking for! (It's not always immediately obvious what you're photographing, unless you check the pictures).


13/101.
Phylloscopus collybita Chiffchaff
Location: East putting green, Stanley Park, Blackpool.
Conditions: Light cloud, mild, calm. Mid evening.
Photograph quality: 2.


Comments: This bird made no sound, but let me get very close. I was using a subpar lens combination (the 200mm f/2.8 + 2x extender), but the photographs are of reasonable quality thanks to the tameness of the bird. It is not a willow warbler (very similar-looking), as none have been sighted here yet, and its pale eye ring, less distinct supercilium, and dark legs fit with a chiffchaff.


No comments:

Post a Comment