Sunday 8 December 2013

Bird project 28 - Snow bunting


29/101.
Plectrophenax nivalis Snow bunting

Location: Beach opposite sand dunes, south of Blackpool, UK.
Conditions: Very strong wind (gusting to gale force), thick cloud, drizzle; high tide, mid afternoon.
Photograph quality: 2-3 (nb I took better quality shots the next day, e.g. this one).


Comments: We get these birds around the coast here on and off through the winter, but it's not predictable. Sometimes they stick around for a few days, as this flock of around 8 birds has recently. I went searching for a single one last winter at Fleetwood, but it never showed. This time I was luckier, though when I arrived at Starr Gate, I wasn't hopeful.


The tide was nearly at its maximum, the light poor (these shots were taken at ISO 5000), and the strip of beach above the high tide mark was busy with dog walkers and windsurfers. I spent some time photographing a flock of turnstones flitting from one unoccupied patch to another, then I noticed a pied wagtail. This was very lucky, as it was feeding with the snow buntings - I wouldn't have noticed them otherwise, their camouflage was too good. But once I had seen them, I worked fast - more people were approaching in the distance, so I took about three dozen photos before the birds disappeared. I may try to go back tomorrow, as the wind should be lighter, and I'll time it for lower tide, when people should be more spread out (and a weekday should be less busy anyway).

It seems appropriate that what is likely my last new species of the year has a wintry name.



No comments:

Post a Comment