Tuesday 12 February 2013

Bird project 7 - Stock dove


7/101.
Columba oenas Stock dove

Location: Wires and barn roof 200-300 metres northeast of Marton Mere, Blackpool.
Conditions: Hazy sunshine, late afternoon; cold easterly wind.
Photograph quality: 3.

Comments: There are still a few species commonly found within walking distance or a short ride on public transport that I haven't yet photographed. Stock doves are seen regularly on farm buildings and power lines just east of Marton Mere, but perhaps because they look so similar to feral pigeons, I have overlooked them. I got a proper camera bag this month, so I can carry my tripod with much less difficulty. This allows me to spend much longer scanning for birds at a distance, using my camera, long lens, and two or three teleconverters as a spotting scope, and photographing anything notable.

I was also hoping to see a little owl, which is found in the same location, but it was not to be seen on this occasion. It took me some time to be absolutely sure the pigeons I photographed were stock doves, as the most obvious distinguishing feature (the green metallic neck) was not visible on any of the individuals. However, the general colouration, and especially the black eyes, are I believe conclusive.

The bird perched on the wire in the first photograph above is certain. The others, which seem similar, but were further away, are less definite, but still probably the same species. I've included a photograph of one yawning - something I've never seen before! Note, these photographs were taken at the limit of my equipment - at 2800mm focal length.

No comments:

Post a Comment